Re: Advanced Degrees

Subject: Re: Advanced Degrees
From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:20:04 -0800

Daniel P Read said:

>?Athe idea of pursuing education for the sole purpose of furthering one's
>career is so often a myth.?The fact is that many employers don't give a
>damn about your Masters degree, unless, as I specified in my original
>post, you're talking about a medical, scientific, or other field that
>*requires* advanced degrees.
I took a software documentation course a few years ago from an experienced
tech pubs manager who told us that sooner or later, having a master's level
education is going to become an industry-wide standard for technical
writers in the computer industry. It won't even have to be a tech writing
degree specifically, just an MA/MS of some sort to keep you in the running
with other job candidates.

Having a Master's degree is a significant achievement that speaks
positively of one's ambition, intelligence, and goal orientation, IMHO,
even when it doesn't directly apply to one's professional field. I'm
finishing my MA in English with a technical writing focus in the Spring of
1997. I will be very glad to be ahead of the pack.

- tgr