Re: flat fee question.. . .

Subject: Re: flat fee question.. . .
From: byfield -at- DIRECT -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 10:21:21 -0800

Bobby Collins <bcollins -at- IPA -dot- NET> wrote:

>Another question...New client is a small ad agency in Arkansas. I've just
>completed two small jobs for which I billed $25/hour ($300 total). They are
>suggesting an on-going relationship (probably similar assignments monthly),
>but would prefer a flat fee. I would like to develop a regular relationship
>(spell that: I-need-the-work), and am therefore open to the idea.
>Having considered the possibilities of long-long assignments, short-short
>assignments, research-intensive assignments, and familiar themes, I am
>thinking of a number between $200 and $400 per assignment.
>So, have I missed anything? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I gather from your posting that the client wants a flat fee for
every project? If so, it's understandable that the company would
want to regularize its documentation costs. Yet I'd be uneasy about
the situation, myself. I wouldn't want to work for free, but I wouldn't
want to price myself out of the market, either.

Would the company accept a range for the flat fee? How about a price
list? These would be my first choices. Otherwise, I think I'd place
the fee in the middle, somewhat towards the high end--in the range
you suggested, at about $325. At that rate, you might find yourself
working for free sometimes, but not very often.

Of course, if you really need the work, then maybe pitch it a little
lower. I've worked for lower than I like just to get resume stuffing,
and in the long run I haven't regretted it (although I've muttered
plenty at the time).

Another idea might be to see what sorts of documentation the company
has done in the past year or so, and figure out an average estimate
from that.

Bruce Byfield (byfield -at- direct -dot- ca)
Burnaby, BC, Canada
(604) 421-7189

"I'll never get to heaven, no matter what I do,
I'll never be a blue-eyed boy, although my eyes are blue,
And I will not work, and I will not work for you."
--Oyster Band, "The Generals Are Born Again"