Re: OFF TOPIC: Monitor stories

Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC: Monitor stories
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 16:18:31 -0800

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 11:20:29 -0600, Patty Ewy wrote:

>We've been given the choice of getting more Sonys (and waiting a while
>longer to get them, and paying more $$$) or to use adapters to use some
>Techmedia monitors. We set the two up side-by-side, and I *think* I can
>see that the Techmedia doesn't have the clarity of the Sony, but to be
>honest my eyes aren't that sharp.

It's a little-known fact that, of the dozens of monitor brands and
models available, there are really very few companies that manufacture
the CRTs used by all of them... and of those, there are basically two
different types of CRTs... to over-simplify, those that use a shadow
mask inside the tube, and those that use the Sony "Trinitron" design.
The main distinguishing feature between them is that the Trinitron
design tends to provide richer color, while standard designs are
generally sharper.

Beyond that, the wide range in models and prices relate to the quality
of the tubes (as they go through quality control, they're graded, not
unlike lumber; the high-quality ones going to the expensive monitors,
the ones with small defects to the cheaper manufacturers); to
value-added features such as built-in speakers, on-screen
configuration, and support for higher refresh rates; and to the quality
of the rest of the electronics and, to some degree, the brand name.

There was an excellent article about all this in The Computer Paper
last year... check out http://www.tcp.ca/July95/MonitorMania.html for
all the details.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

They shoot without shame / In the name of a piece of dirt
For a change of accent / Or the color of your shirt
Better the pride that resides / In a Citizen of the World
Than the pride that divides / When a colorful rag is unfurled
- Rush, "Territories"