Re: Advanced Degrees

Subject: Re: Advanced Degrees
From: Deborah Holmes <dholmes -at- BOSTONTECHNOLOGY -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 14:58:44 -0500

John Posada wrote:
<snip>
>...but if you were to say that you received a BS or BA
>from an average run-of-the-mill institution, would they find out...or would
>they even try to find out?
<snip>

It depends on where you try that kind of nonsense. When you apply to
work for an organization that is overseen by the SEC, every job on your
resume is checked as are your all references. This applies to
contractors as well as full timers. You are also fingerprinted. Lying on
your resume at Fidelity or Dun & Bradstreet is an automatic black ball
for life. And they DO check every single one. They = security, not HR.

In other companies, it depends on how busy HR is as you have mentioned.
If you lie and get the job, then I guess you got away with it. Don't
try it on resumes submitted to/through headhunters. Their livelihoods
depend on the veracity of the information on your resume. So they check
graduation dates. And employment dates. And all technical and personal