Re: Defining your role

Subject: Re: Defining your role
From: Janet Renze <jrenze -at- CGN -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:39:59 -0600

Ginna--
danger alert!! I agree with David Castro:
---->Also, if the company doesn't know why they hired you, how should you know
why they hired you?

now, this request could be because your manager thinks you are
best qualified to enlighted the team on your strengths and abilities,
but are the programmers being asked to do the same? how about
other team members??

there are lots of good sources on what tech writers can and/or should
do (have you skimmed the recent STC Intercom newsletters? i seem to
remember a 2-pager on this topic)--feel free to cite away to back up
your beliefs. but you must feel comfortable with how these explanations
and documents and presentation(s) will affect your work afterward.
in other words, will you be given lip service or taken at face value
and given the responsibilities you want?

at my company, I tried many, many ways to enlighten the various
software teams on the positive role of tech comm in a software
project. every programmer is clammoring for documentation and
structured processes, but the management is oblivious. needless to
say, the company is going nowhere fast, but I am ;)

best wishes and please keep the group posted on your progress!!
Janet Renze
jrenze -at- cgn -dot- org