Re: Read Me First!

Subject: Re: Read Me First!
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:10:49 -0800

> Anyone buy the book "Read Me First! A Style Guide for the Computer
> Industry"? It was supposed to come with a CD of the text along with
> "ready-to-use Frame(r) templates."

> I bought it at the May STC convention. They provided a "Special Offer"
> letter saying that the CD "was delayed at the duplicators" ([sic]--no
> period at the end of the sentence). The letter is dated May 5, 1996.

> Since then, I've contacted first Leabe Berman and now Mary Tracy of
> Prentice Hall's Professional Technical Reference division. Each time
> I spoke with them or received a message from them, I was told, "Oh,
> the duplicators say it'll be about 10 days till the CD's ready."

> I still have no CD.

Let me start out by apologizing. The reason you don't have a CD is that
the CD is not ready yet. Prentice Hall experienced several technical
problems getting the Frame templates and FrameViewer text on one CD for
all three platforms (UNIX, Mac, and Windows). Twice they thought they
were close to a finished CD but problems were found by us at Sun. I am
right now waiting for the next "finished CD" to arrive for testing at
our (Sun's) end. As soon as an acceptable CD is approved, the CDs
should be processed within ten days and will be sent to those people
who sent in requests to Prentice Hall.

I am sorry for the delay -- believe me, you're not any more upset than
we, the authors, are!

-- Janice Gelb, Project Lead for Read Me First
SunSoft Technical Publications