Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: Linda Castellani <castle -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 18:28:07 -0800

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Melissa Hunter-Kilmer wrote:

> The agency does what we ask, but it takes them some time to dig up samples.
> Why is this? Am I asking for something non-standard or unreasonable? Are
> writing samples usually brought only to the interview? If so, how the heck
> can you tell in advance if the person is worth interviewing?

These are good questions.

I'd like to hear how people choose what samples to send. And
how you present them to the client.

The problem with being asked to submit samples in advance is that
you are limited to sending photocopies or faxes of a few pages of
something, without an opportunity to present any kind of context, or
answer the client's questions about the sample submitted. You can't send
everything, and you don't want to run the risk of having the client
assume that if you didn't send what he's looking for, that you aren't
capable of doing it.

What do you, Melissa (or any of you), look for when someone
submits samples, that lets you know whether or not they are worth
interviewing? What impresses you? What guarantees a call from you?