Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: David Demyan <dbdemyan -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 22:51:38 -0500

Linda Castellani wrote:
--snip--
> What do you, Melissa (or any of you), look for when someone
> submits samples, that lets you know whether or not they are worth
> interviewing? What impresses you? What guarantees a call from you?

Linda and list:

The following comments refer to my screening of technical writers'
resumes for contract assignments with Fortune 500 clients.

I like to see samples that reflect the writer's awareness of my
client's business. For example, if I advertise for writers with
Framemaker experience writing for the telecommunications industry,
I like to see a resume that reflects some similar experience and
samples of work that is close to what the client is looking to
create. I would look for creative and appropriate use of Framemaker's
features. I would look for completeness and an exacting eye for
detail. I would look for simplicity of style, correctness of
grammar, technical know-how, and, possibly most importantly, a
sense of organization appropriate to the delivery technique
(traditional linear flow in paper; proper information chunking
in on-line). In short, I would look for all of the things I know
to look for but my clients do not know how to look for that I know
will avoid disatisfaction later in the project.

Let's face it: the client is usually clueless about how to complete
a documentation project. They are looking for a warm 'n' fuzzy
feeling that he/she is hiring a pro. They look at the samples and
they say, "Yeah, that's what I had in mind." (Even if they never
saw anything like it, they will convince themselves that they came
up with great ideas while recruiting just the right candidate.)

Through long experience, I have found these techniques to be the
keys to successful contractor recruiting.

Best wishes,
Dave.

David B. Demyan Mendem Concord, Inc.
Toll Free: (888) 753-8500 Technical Writers
FAX: (908) 756-0129 Document Conversions
dbd -at- mendem -dot- com http://www.mendem.com