Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: "Nancy B. Delain" <nbdelain -at- ALBANY -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 07:53:01 -0500

>>From Krista van Laan:
I knew a guy who had never written a word and used that line.
He got the job, too. Yes, the employer could have called his references,
but in my experience, they rarely do.<<

That is the employer's problem, not the writer's. In not disclosing work
done for former employers, any writer is behaving appropriately; it is up
to the employer to determine if the line is a scam. Usually, in my
experience, it's not. But then, I do check.

Personally, I would hire (and have hired, never getting burned by doing so)
writers in a heartbeat if they use that line, **and if their references
check out**.

>>Even if you have signed a nondisclosure agreement, does that still
apply to manuals that have been published and are for sale to the
customer through the customer service center? What about published
manuals that were written for products that are out of date? I show these
kinds of samples all the time and have never even dreamed there
would be a problem with something like that.<<

I still check with the document owner. It is, after all, THEIR document,
not mine, even if I did design, write, edit and maintain it, and eventually
sent it into document oblivion.

Nancy Baum Delain
Delain Associates