MIME encoding

Subject: MIME encoding
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 16:12:01 +0100

Hello Iain,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Iain Harrison an All am 11.12.96

IH> This is a MIME message. If you are reading this text, you may
IH> want to
IH> consider changing to a mail reader or gateway that understands
IH> how to
IH> properly handle MIME multipart messages.

IH> personally I am not happy with MIME email.

IH> 1. There is no advantage in sending ASCII text MIME encoded

There is a definite advantage of sending ASCII text MIME encoded as soon as you
need the high bit, as most languages besides English do.

IH> 2. The message was all there in ASCII, followed by loads of
IH> MIME-encoded
IH> data, doubling the size of the message but adding no
IH> information.

There was lots of information added, in deed. Get a freeware MIME decoder.

IH> Can anyone please explain to me the advantage in an encoding
IH> scheme such
IH> as MIME for text messages?

There was a WordPerfect file in that message. Therefore you could get
something better than plain, unformatted ASCII, if you wished.

...but basically you are right: Please try to avoid MIME messages or if you
really want to, use it for *compressed* files. ZIP or LHA should be available
for about every platform in use here. I made a ZIP file of the MIME encoded
documents and offer it to the users of my BBS.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)