Re: Certification/Degrees

Subject: Re: Certification/Degrees
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:40:35 -0800

At 12:43 PM 12/13/96 -0600, Mike Wing wrote:

>Let's pursue another angle to this discussion. Let's suppose that I
>worked for, managed, or even owned a technical documentation consulting
>and services company. To create an edge over much of my competition and
>to convince companies with a writing staff that they should contract my
>group (instead of using their own staff), I would need something that
>distinguishes my company's services. Maybe something like . . . . . . .
>. a certificate!

Here we have the crux of the matter. Degrees/certification cannot guarantee
competence, but they can be used as criteria for "competitive advantage,"
whatever that means. As shameless floggers of our own abilities, we will use
anything we can find to climb over the competition and get what we want.

That's the kind of thinking that made America what it is today.

--Wayne Douglass
Verity, Inc. Email: wayned -at- verity -dot- com
894 Ross Drive Telephone: 408-542-2139
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 Facsimile: 408-542-2040