Re: Framemaker to troff

Subject: Re: Framemaker to troff
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:56:49 -0600

Jonathan Leer wrote:

> Do you know of any utility or method for converting a Framemaker document into a troff document?

This is a real stretch - but you could try it. BTW, I'm winging it -
don't let the fact that I have numbered steps fool you into thinking
that I've actually given this any prior thought!

1) Create a generated document. When setting it up, include EVERY
paragraph style you'll want put into the TROFF document.

2) Generate it.

3) Open the Generated doc.

4) View the SECOND Reference Page. You should see <paratext> markers
for each of the incuded Paragraph tags.

5) Optionally, format all the paragraph tags to something that won't
make your TROFF system choke (10-pt courier? I don't know that it makes
a difference)

6) At the beginning of each paragraph, enter the dot command associated
with that style. (Also, enter any dot commands needed to "close out" a
style at the end of the paragraph.

For example: On the reference page, Heading 1 will look like:
<paratext> [put your cursor on - it'll read "Heading 1"]
Change it to this:
.[troff format for Heading 1]<paratext>(add any closing dot command
here)

7) Generate again. View the Body Pages - hopefully, you'll get
something that's sorta like TROFF text.

If it works - thanks to my old colleague, Stephanie Delzell. If not -
well, I tried!

Mitch Berg
mber -at- is -dot- com