Re: Documentation Group needs advice!

Subject: Re: Documentation Group needs advice!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 11:53:33 -0500

Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>wrote:

>I dunno. I started using FrameMaker in July, 1992 (4.5 years >ago---not 5---but close enough, I think 8) ). Until then, my >principle tool was MSWord3.

>Everyone told me I'd regret the change: FrameMaker is soooo >hard to learn." HAH! It took me less than a day to feel >comfortable enough to start a major project with Frame. Every >time I stumbled across a new feature, my reaction was: "Oh, >wow! -Now- I can do...."

Maybe another factor in learning Frame is how many different tools
you've used? Several years ago, when I was a simple academic and had
never heard of paragraph styles, switching to another word processor
seemed a momenteous decision.

Now, looking back over past year, I realize that I've learned three or
four word or document processors without making much fuss. Experience
and learning to learn, I suspect, is the difference.

Still, I glommed on to Frame like The Blob trying to devour Steve
McQueen and his friends. There's a straightforward logic to many of
Frame's functions that appeals to me.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer

"You can go home again, so long as you understand that home
is a place you have never been." --Ursula K. Le Guin