Re: Titles for Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Titles for Technical Writers
From: * <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:53:35 -0500

My title -- and I argued for it -- is simply

Writer

since as a ''tech'' writer I am called upon to do non-tech
writing as well (e.g. a puff piece because a client wants to
keep a highprofile for his project) -- I do proposals,
marketing (& marketing tech writing), presentations of
non-technical nature, etc. & et al (no relation to Big Al).

Trouble with ''writer'' is that I also create some SIMPLE
computer graphics and I compose pages and ...

But ''Communicator,'' ''Documentation {something},'' and
similar titles lack the ring or ''writer.''

As to the ranking, here (with more than 20 years'
experience) I am the Senior/Lead (tried for ''leed'') Writer
... I also am the ONLY writer on staff at this office, but
that's another matter. Long way for a former devil & bank
boy.

John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us>