Entering in Tech Writing Resources

Subject: Entering in Tech Writing Resources
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 08:50:51 EST

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Melissa Lowery <MLOWERY -at- GWM -dot- SC -dot- EDU> wrote:

> What I would like to be able to do for my fellow grad students is give them
some information to help them begin an investigation of the field. <snip> I was
wondering if any other writers might be willing to help me put together a list
of resources and even bits of specific advice to help new writers break into the
field.

A few weeks ago, I asked a bunch of folks for their advice to a senior English
major who was considering becoming a tech writer. I have a 46K file full of
their nuggets of wisdom and I will be happy to forward it to anyone on request.
Just ask for c:\ark\alice. Please note that the file is just a bunch of
messages stuck together; I didn't organize or synthesize anything. Any budding
tech writer worth his or her salt can do that!

While I'm on the subject, I would like to thank the following people, all of
whom gave me stellar advice to pass on to Alice, the aforementioned English
major:

Chris Hamilton
Deborah Stone
Gabriel Reedy
Mitch Berg
Lisa Rea/Lisa Higgins (both names were in the posting)
Robbie Rupel
Diane Ritchey
Chuck Beck
john glenn
Victor Chapel
Ruth Glaser
Bill Sullivan
Chuck Murray
Jean Weber
Beth Kane (I think) -- bkane -at- Artisoft -dot- COM
Bruce Byfield
David Castro
Mike Dean
David Hailey

We need new blood in this growing field, and I am very pleased and proud that so
many on this list gave of their time and expertise to develop new tech writers.
My hat is off to all of you.

(See, Eric, the list works!)

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com