Re: Entering in Tech Writing Resources

Subject: Re: Entering in Tech Writing Resources
From: Mark Johnson <Mark_Johnson -at- INTUIT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 18:25:42 -0800

Melissa Lowery wrote:

> Oh Great Experienced Tech Writers:
>
> I made the transition from academia to the tech writing field after
> two and a half year "apprenticeship" where I taught myself much of
what
> I know (with the wonderful help of cyber-resources like this list).
When I
> have told several English major friends of mine about the TW field
and my
> job, they expressed interest in learning about technical
communication as
> a possible career (full-time, tenure track academic posts are
becoming a
> rarity so many grad students are beginning to scope out
alternatives).

> Melissa Lowery
> mlowery -at- gwm -dot- sc -dot- edu (until 1-15-97)

I recently wrote an article on this very topic--my experiences as an
English PhD working as a technical writer in the software industry (I
work for Intuit). The article,"Professions Beyond the Academy," is in
a Modern Language Association publication called "Profession 1996."
"Profession" is mailed to all members of the MLA. It came out in
December, 1996.

If you don't know any MLA members to borrow "Profession" from, try a
university library's periodical section. If this doesn't work, try a
bookstore; the ISBN is 0-87352-683-X. You could also contact the
MLA: 10 Astor Place, NY, NY 10003-6981. (212) 614-6381

Best regards,

Mark Johnson