Re: Readability and point size

Subject: Re: Readability and point size
From: Jean Weber <100241 -dot- 2123 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 15:55:50 -0500

Someone mentioned age as a factor in whether small print is readable. This
is a valid issue.

However, I'd also like to remind everyone that even young people can have
difficulty reading small type, whether on paper or on screen. I have worn
specs since I was 7 years old, and have had severe myopia (>11 diopters)
for many years. I am now over 50 and having trouble reading things close up
as well.

I have complained for years about software interfaces with tiny type that I
cannot change (other than by changing the screen resolution). Fortunately
in much modern s/w, I can change the size of type on user-editable things.
Unfortunately this does not include the online help!

Please spare a thought for the millions of people with poor eyesight, when
deciding on a point size for anything. I realise it's a tradeoff with a lot
of other factors, but don't just assume that because people are "used to
reading small print," that they are comfortable doing so.

Regards from Sydney, Australia
Jean Weber, Technical Writing, Editing and Publishing Consultant