Re: Having Writers Block

Subject: Re: Having Writers Block
From: "Accentuated Brandname Creativity, Inc." <acreatyv -at- SATURN -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:40:00 -0500

>How is asking about competitors' pricing 'not competing?'
>If the manager of Yvonne's Grocery goes into David's Grocery
>to check his prices, is she not competing?

*This* is a no-no: it's the first step toward price-fixing, one
of the anti-trust violations. This does not mean that comparing
rates is always improper, but you've hit on an example that is.

> If you and Yvonne
>both bid on a job, and the client asked Yvonne 'How can you ask
>$N when David only asks $0.8N,' is that 'anti-competitive?'

No. This is okay.

>How does "fair competition" depend on ignorance of
>competitors' pricing?

It doesn't. The issue where those laws are concerned is collusion
(generally assuming considerable market share among those colluding),
not awareness. IOW, in the context we're discussing, anti-trust
is not a factor.

Chuck Brandstater
acreatyv -at- saturn -dot- net