Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION [Ref:C885980]

Subject: Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION [Ref:C885980]
From: Tom Tomasovic <Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NA -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:47:47 +0000

Al:

Part of our latest round of design changes to our
documentation includes tighter revision control.
We intend that each section of each document will
contain information as to when the document was
updated and an "arbitrary" version number.

Some similar system might be of use to you. The
techs should then have access to some sort of
index (or database) which maintains the current
revision (and its effective date).

BTW, if there is some sort of date identification
on the document, the techs can probably "smell"
stale information (they probably have a reasonable
idea of how frequently the info changes).

As for the technique for doing this, headers and
footers in WP docs work very well and, in some
cases, they can be automated to a certain degree.
However, this needs to be taken into account in
designing and producing the manuals. After the
fact . . .

HTH

Regards,

Tom <<Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- na -dot- nwmarkets -dot- com>>

You should be aware that the information contained
within this message is solely the opinion of the
writer (me). The people at NatWest have little
control over how I express myself, and they should
not be held responsible for anything I say
(unless, of course, I express it as a corporate
opinion).

Subject: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION [Ref:C885980]
Author: INTERNET TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU at Multimessage
Date: 1/21/97 5:15 PM

My company prints service manuals for all of our products to be used by
service techs. The service techs that use these manuals are wondering
if they have the latest revision of the manual. Does anyone have an idea
of how a printed manual can be marked so that a user can tell if it is the
latest revision?

Thanks,
Al
ajudd -at- efjohnson -dot- com