SERVICE MANUAL REVISION

Subject: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:27:01 +0100

Hello,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Jane Bergen an All am 21.01.97

the original request escaped me:

JB> > My company prints service manuals for all of our products to
JB> be used
JB> > by service techs. The service techs that use these manuals
JB> are
JB> > wondering if they have the latest revision of the manual.
JB> Does
JB> > anyone have an idea of how a printed manual can be marked so
JB> that a
JB> > user can tell if it is the latest revision?

I did service manuals for medical electronics from 1984 to 1989. A few of my
experiences from that time:

- The service techs next to exclusively used circuit diagrams
and perhaps adjustment tables.

- We included the original revision index in the schematics
(we had to live with the schematics created by the developer
with few possibilities to do our own drawings).

- Many sevice techs could not be prevented from using extremely old
manuals: They got them very early in their first instructions about
that equipment and wrote lots of notes into the manuals. They thought
they could not live without these notes for years!

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)