Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION

Subject: Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:34:59 +0000

On 22 Jan 97 at 11:49, Ridder, Fred wrote:

> On 21 January 1997, Don Timmerman wrote (in part):
> >every page. ... Of course, if you print "smart" docs, the revision
> >numbers and dates will automatically update every time a new
> >revision is produced.
>
> On the same date, Jane Bergen wrote (in part):
>
> >Now....drum roll.... be advised that very time you print, the field
> >code updates and prints the current date, which may or may not be
> >the actual revision date. If you want an absolutely accurate
> >revision date, you will probably need to devise some kind of scheme
> >to manually change the date....in other words, don't insert it as a
> >field code. Just insert it as a regular text string.
>
> Well, this isn't quite true in either case. Whether Word updates
> all the field codes each time you print is determined by a settable
> user option. Look at the Print tab under Tools, Options. You will

And this isn't quite true, either. I never have this option checked
because it makes me nuts to wait for it to update when I want to
print. I deliberately disabled it. STILLLLLLLLL..... page numbers and
date/time fields update when they print. Maybe I have just have a
weird copy of Office 95, but it happens every time. I just checked it
again to be sure... and checked to see that I have the option turned
OFF (i.e., no check mark).

Jane

"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer