FW: Doco for today's software

Subject: FW: Doco for today's software
From: Kelly Kremin <Three_Cats -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:19:05 UT

A product manager is looking for advice on how to deliver docs to customers.
Please send your responses directly to her since she does not subscribe to
this list. Her email address: colleen -dot- johnson -at- apertus -dot- com

Thank you for your help.

Kelly M. Kremin
Three_Cats -at- msn -dot- com

----------
My story is as follows...

In general I am marketing a product (development toolkit) primarily to
Fortune 1000 IT organizations. The product pricing is currently upwards of
$50,000. The product is supported on major providers of UNIX based
platforms. Currently the product is available on 4mm, 8mm, and Quarter Inch
Cartridge (QIC) media types. The accompanying doco is provided in both
softcopy (postscript and html-based online-help formats) and hardcopy
(professionally bound) formats.

I am planning to migrate the media to support CD only. My question is what
is the appropriate and or commonplace format for the accompanying doco?
There are some at my company who are of the opinion that I need only
provide the doco in softcopy. For obvious reasons, this would be my ideal
choice. However, I am concerned about the perception associated with a
product in this price range and delivering only CD(s).

I would appreciate any experienced opinions on this issue.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Colleen Johnson
colleen -dot- johnson -at- apertus -dot- com