book buying note/Object-Oriented GUI Application Development

Subject: book buying note/Object-Oriented GUI Application Development
From: Al Rubottom <alrub -at- INETWORLD -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:20:22 -0800

* Skip this msg if you never buy books or could care less: *

I forget what occasioned the first msg about this book,
but I recall someone posting that Amazon.com told him
they could get the book ... in a few days or weeks ...
which is patently impossible, and is yet another incidence
of amazon's blatant hype machine -- they'll say *anything*
about having, ordering or getting a book, no matter if it cannot
be true. I say this because I care about booksellers, and amazon
is doing more damage than good with their wild claims and
the absurd publicity they get as a result.

A *real* and reliable bookstore told me this, in response to
my query about ordering the book:

>Object-Oriented GUI Application Development
>by Geoff Lee
>ISBN 0-13-363086-2
>
>We do not have this title in stock. I called the publisher and it is out
>of print. No new editions of this book have been published. If you'd
>like, we could give you the number of some out of print book services.
>Please contact us if there are any other titles you would like us to check.

This bookstore actually knows publishers, understands book ordering,
deals in more technical books than probably any other store in this region,
if not the state, and routinely fills my orders in days if they don't have
the book
I want in stock.

If you'd like more info on them, contact me off list.

Al

Al Rubottom /\ alrub -at- inetworld -dot- net
tel: 619.292.9998 /\ fax: 619.541.2260