Dictionaries

Subject: Dictionaries
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <gfhayhoe -at- SCESCAPE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:03:47 -0500

John Fisher asked about dictionaries. I've been partial to the American
Heritage College Dictionary (3rd ed. 1993) for the past 20 years because of
its excellent guidance on usage. Unlike other dictionaries I'm familiar
with, the AH bases its usage notes on extensive surveys of its usage panel,
a distinguished group of writers, academics, and other experts in the use
of the language.

--George Hayhoe (gfhayhoe -at- scescape -dot- net)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: 803-642-2156
Fax: 803-642-9325
http://www.scescape.net/~gfhayhoe/index.htm