Contracting moral dilemma

Subject: Contracting moral dilemma
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 08:03:09 -0800

I have successfully bid on a fixed-price contract. I signed the contract
yesterday, and will receive the first payment today. I started working
on the files last night, and realized that there really is a lot less
text than I was thinking when I bid the contract (a non-professional
actually used sufficient white space!).

My potential dilemma is: what if I spend a lot less hours on the project
than I calculated for my bid? It is a fixed bid, but I still based it on
how many hours I thought it would take. If I go over the amount of time I
estimated, I certainly wouldn't expect to be paid more...but should I
return whatever portion that I didn't work for?

Another contract will follow this one. Should I just adjust the other
contract to offset any unworked-for income on this one?

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
http://www.crl.com/~techwrtr/