Web site consulting

Subject: Web site consulting
From: Cynthia Maciejczyk <cynthia -dot- s -dot- maciejczyk -dot- 2 -at- ND -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:46:50 -0500

Greetings,

This is my first posting to this list. I have been monitoring for quite some
time and hope that my query is not repetitious.

A friend and I have an opportunity to design a Web site for a small medical
practice in South Bend, IN. I am a technical writer with some HTML
experience and she is working toward her MBA in Management Information
Systems. We are both raising a family and are looking for consulting
possibilities.

My question deals with how we should go about estimating the Web site
project. This small business has gotten estimates from a few other sources
but balked at the high price (several thousand dollars). I have done some
consulting over the years as a technical writer and have a good idea of what
to charge for those services. However, I am not sure how to estimate a Web
site development job. I don't want to low-ball just for the sake of getting
the job, but our potential client understands that this would be a maiden
project for us and I'm sure they are expecting us to take that into account
when we estimate for services.

At this point, I don't think they have an Internet service provider, so I'm
sure we will be expected to handle that end of the project as well. Then
there is the question of maintenance. Should we write that in to the
original contract?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions for sources I might consult for more
information, I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Cynthia Maciejczyk
Adjunct Instructor