Re: Platform of choice

Subject: Re: Platform of choice
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:16:33 -0800

Bill wrote:

>>Carry this on off-list some place... the os wars... the browser wars...
>>it is not TECHWR-L material... isn't there an unmoderated list some
>>place you can fight this out on...

Used to be, I agreed with you. OS wars and browser wars were a waste
of time. I know what I like and I use it.

But no more. I've read everything I can about MSIE browser-based help
and Netscape browser-based help and I'm having nightmares about how to
implement cross-platform solutions anymore! HTML, for all its short-
commings, used to at least be a ***cross-platform*** solution.
I can't count on that anymore. So, not only do I need to know what
each of these browsers are capable of, I need to know what other
people are using, what decisions they're making, and how I can most
effectively take advantage of their experiences.

Delivering cross-platform solutions has never been particularly
easy or particularly elegant and for all our talk of "open" this
and that, it seems to be getting worse instead of better.

So, to me, this browser war stuff is, to quote Eric, "what's
keeping me up at night" as a technical writing manager responsible
for delivering effective cross-platform solutions with a minimal
amount of effort (i.e., recoding, reformatting,...).

Sorry you don't agree.

And, BTW, techwr-l *is* an unmoderated list.

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com