What do you call that thing....

Subject: What do you call that thing....
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:47:27 +0000

I'm trying to describe an interface for a user guide. We're using
the Windows Explorer model of a collapsible/expandable tree in one of
the views.... is it generally considered OK (in other words,
non-jargon) to refer to it as a "tree" --- if not, then what do we
call it? I've looked in the Microsoft Style Guide and they don't
refer to it at all (unless I'm looking in the wrong place). Even the
online help for Explorer never "calls it" anything specific.

I can't use "folders" and "files" because ours are telephony
switches, devices, agent groups, and agents. Our programmers are
frowning on "tree" for the user guide, although that's the term we
all use in the office.

Ideas, please? In case this is not a good discussion topic for the
group, please send replies directly to me.


Jane Bergen

"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com
AnswerSoft, Inc. Dallas, TX

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
Search the archives at http://www.documentation.com/ or search and
browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html

Previous by Author: Re: ACM SIGDOC 97 [Snowbird, UT]
Next by Author: Re: Summary: Serious problem with Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 ?
Previous by Thread: Job Opening: Washington, DC area
Next by Thread: Re: What do you call that thing....

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads