Re: Platform of Choice

Subject: Re: Platform of Choice
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:14:20 -0800

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:09:58 EST,
William=E -dot- =Newkirk%Pubs%GenAv -dot- Mlb -at- RODES -dot- CCA -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM wrote:

>>Little of everything, I think. Windows is more of a de facto standard
>>than a standard of choice, since Microsoft's (now-illegal) bundling
>>deals with DOS/Win3x.
>
>it may be illegal to "bundle" MS software with a computer, but you aren't
>going to buy one w/o windows at your local computer store (unless it's a mac).

What was ruled to be illegal was M$'s per-processor royalty deal.

>certainly every "complete" system we've acquired lately comes with windows as
>the default os (and i can't say that they offer a choice of OS...)

Several manufacturers will preload other operating systems (or just
leave the drive blank) if you ask, but most don't advertise the fact.

BTW, I'd like to point out that those "40 million" or however many
supposed Windows users Microsoft claims there are out there is a farce
as well... I personally account for at least eight of those Windows
"sales", between computers that count as Windows sales because of the
per-processor deal (whether or not the machines still have Windows on
them), several copies of OS/2 that include Win-OS/2, and one actual
copy of Windows 3.1 that someone gave to me.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>