Re: What do you call that thing....

Subject: Re: What do you call that thing....
From: Earl Morton <WorkgWords -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 01:18:19 -0500

Hi, Jane!

In a message dated 97-02-12 15:52:13 EST, you write:

<< I'm trying to describe an interface for a user guide. We're using
the Windows Explorer model of a collapsible/expandable tree in one of
the views.... is it generally considered OK (in other words,
non-jargon) to refer to it as a "tree" --- if not, then what do we
call it? >>

In a Help system I've done, I've used this text (with bitmaps of the plus and
minus sign symbols in the parentheses):

"Tables of contents are formatted with an outline-like hierarchy, with plus (
) and minus ( ) signs to indicate the presence of subheadings. You can click
these symbols to hide or reveal the details."

Please don't copy it verbatim, it's copyrighted by my client.


Earl Morton
WorkgWords -at- aol -dot- com

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at

Previous by Author: Attachments
Next by Author: SME Trouble
Previous by Thread: Re: What do you call that thing....
Next by Thread: Re: How it all began (#358794)

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads