Style guides

Subject: Style guides
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:47:16 -0600

Barb Philbrick wondered <<Has anyone successfully
created a usable style guide that says something like, "We
use the CMoS and The Handbook of Technical Writing as our
base sources. Any deviations from these sources are
documented in this style guide."?>>

That's pretty much exactly what our style guide says. We
spent several hours consulting with our in-house writers to
find out what sort of questions they wanted answered, then
added in a list of the daily recurring errors that I fix as
the house editor. So there's lots of info on our review
process, how an abstract differs from a summary, how to do
literature citations, the length restrictions and content
requirements for each report series, and a few shortcuts in
AmiPro that make everyone's life easier. For most words, we
refer to Websters; for obscure points of style, we use
Chicago or the Canadian Forest Service style guide; for
tree names, we use Hosie; etc.