Re: Interview questions

Subject: Re: Interview questions
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat_ashraf -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:32:43 EST

I am not trying to be cheeky -- honest.

On Feb 19, 11:10am, Susan W. Gallagher wrote:

> I don't ask it all the time, but when I do, it's usually to try
> to draw some sense of movement out of the interviewee. The answer
> that I want reflects the interviewee's perception of where the
> (in my case, software) industry is going, where current information-
> delivery technology is going, and how the interviewee plans to keep
> up with trends/changes. I want to see some ambition, some goals, some
> incentive to improve skills.

Why not ask these questions outright? What with us TW's telling everyone, each
other, and ourselves, ad nauseaum [did I get that right?] to say what we mean
and all ... This is a serious question. My response to a question like that is
usually "In what regard? Financially, Socially, professionally ... what?"
Translation: What do you really want to ask me, <insert indulgent age-specific
epithet of choice>?

> So, when I ask the question, answer with:
>
> "I expect to be more familiar with OO concepts"
> "I expect to be delivering more and more information online and
> less on paper"
> "I expect to become more involved with user interface design"
> "I'd like to be doing more multi-media information delivery"

Sorry, what you are going to get from me is another question.

I will leave the hook/bait/opening for a discussion here.

Sabahat.

PS My sister-in-law's favourite response to the question in question is one I
have not heard on this list yet [I think]: "On the other side of the table."

--
735 Elm Ave Apt 5B sabahat_ashraf -at- mentorg -dot- com
Teaneck, NJ 07666 www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs

"If I know your sect, I anticipate your argument"
Ralph Waldo Emerson