TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Would you rather have your students intern at Mongo, Inc., or a three
person startup company. Why?
Better for students to intern at MONGO, Inc. *Even if* the startup company
consists of 3 technical writing gurus.
Why? Greater odds of intern success due to strength in company numbers.
A few supportive arguments (off the cuff) are:
- Departmental knowledge depth and experience.
- Additional opportunities
- Deeper pockets (ie. training is actually budgeted)
- Increased availability for mentoring
- 1 Dilbert type manager (normally owner or part owner) in 3 person
startup company worse than 10 Dilbert type managers in 3000 person Mongo,
- the list goes on and on... but my time doesn't on this question.