Re: Years(') of experience

Subject: Re: Years(') of experience
From: Guy Haas <ghaas -at- NETSCAPE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:09:57 -0800

At 12:56 PM 2/28/97 -0800, John Ahlstrom wrote:
>How in the name of all the angels (idiomatic emphatic)
>can a year possess anything? Be composed of months, days
>and so forth but be the owner of?
>
>John Ahlstrom
>jahlstrom -at- cisco -dot- com

Chicago Manual of Style, 23rd ed, 6.21, p. 199

Analogous to possessives, and formed like them, are expressions
based on the old genitive case:

an hour's delay in three days' time

Charles's having been there

--g

Guy K. Haas, Software Exegete ghaas -at- netscape -dot- com
Netscape Communications 415-937-3773
501 Middlefield My opinions are mine,
Mountain View, CA 94043 Netscape's are their own.