Re: Resume Facts

Subject: Re: Resume Facts
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 06:17:16 PST

Well, I wouldn't knowingly hire someone who'd lied
on a resume. I'd like to think that the lies
would come out in the interview, but realistically,
they all won't.

In the job I was describing, someone else chased down
the references, so I don't know if I'd have actually
called all of them. I would, however, short of
EXTREME mitigating circumstances, probably fire
someone hired under false pretenses.

If the person was really an asset to the team and
had demonstrated reliability, as in the case you cite,
I might give them the opportunity to come clean. What DID
you do?

Lying about experience, degrees earned, or previous
employment would be more serious, IMHO, than exaggerating
technical competence or tool-specific knowledge.

I still haven't figured out why people lie on
resumes and at interviews ... I just don't get
it. I do know of at least two people who have
fabricated a MA and gotten away with it, but ...

Eric