Re: Re[2]: carpal tunnel

Subject: Re: Re[2]: carpal tunnel
From: "Wollt, Richard C RV" <rcw1 -at- PO9 -dot- RV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:36:00 CST

Christopher, you seem to be forgetting that carpal tunnel syndrome is
idiosyncratic. It depends on the exact physical dimensions within your
wrist as well as the repetetive stress that triggers it in susceptible
individuals. If you are lucky, the carpal "tunnel" in your wrists is
relatively large and you may never develop the problem. Plus your
work/play habits may be "good" so you change positions frequently,
stretch appropriately, and take adequate breaks, perhaps unconsciously.

----------
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
To: Technical Writers List; for al
Subject: Re[2]: carpal tunnel
Date: Friday, February 21, 1997 12:39PM

When I started studying classical guitar, my professors made a
point
of stressing proper hand positions so the stress would be
minimized.

As another classical guitar player, I can second that. Anyone who thinks
musicians never experience problems like tendonitis or RSI hasn't been
around very many musicians. If they experience a lower incidence of it
than
the general populace (something I'm not sure is supported by the facts)
it's probably because they concentrate much more on proper hand and
finger
positioning than the general populace.

Have fun,
Arlen