Re: Interview question

Subject: Re: Interview question
From: John Fulton <jfulton -at- LSI-DSP -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:06:40 +0000

eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM wrote:
>> an
>> interviewee should always answer such questions with a "false
positive,"

>I disagree with your mom's idea of misleading the interviewer. If I were
>asked the weakness question in an interview, I would answer as honestly
>as I could

As someone who has just gone through the process of finding a new job, I
have to say that I've tried both approaches, and BOTH have been
successful: in some interviews, I've mentioned failings that I've worked
on and improved (being honest) and in others I've just defused the
question with a joke like "I work too hard".

Both approaches have resulted in offers.

The one thing you CAN'T do is to mention a weakness and not be able to
say what you've done to remedy it. Because you can bet your entire career
on the interviewer asking that very question.

John Fulton
jfulton -at- lsi-dsp -dot- co -dot- uk
crypt -at- foobar -dot- co -dot- uk

Apologies for the sig: it's not my fault:
LOUGHBOROUGH SOUND IMAGES plc
Ashby Road
Loughborough
Leicestershire