hiring filters - humor

Subject: hiring filters - humor
From: Miki Magyar <MDM0857 -at- MCDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:14:26 -0700

Interesting discussion! And civil, too. Here's another related query. When
I interview for a position, one of the things I look for is personality fit - are
these people I _want_ to be around for 8 to 10 hours a day? I can look
for good management practices, evidence of caring about professional
development, etc. etc., but that still leaves the hard-to-pinpoint 'culture'
aspect. I have found that, for me, humor is a reliable filter. If the
interviewer grins when I make reference to Monty Python or make a bad
pun, or, better still, if _they_ do it first, I am much more likely to feel
comfortable with them. What's your experience? How do you 'test' for
this kind of fit?

Miki
mikim -at- mcdata -dot- com