Schmoozing/Networking

Subject: Schmoozing/Networking
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:32:42 -0800

Esteemed colleagues:

Too many people misunderstand networking and the
general process of interacting with professional
peers. It's not a matter of "What can you do for me?"
In fact, as an STC chapter leader, my approach with
my peers, is "How may I help you?" I'm trying to
continue a practice of more senior technical writers
passing on knowledge and a little wisdom to more
junior people. When I first joined STC I was blessed
with the company of wise and friendly colleagues.

I ask for favors as little as possible. I give them
as often as possible. There's wonderful gratification in
helping others. I do it because I can. Some day, maybe
I won't be in such a great position and I will need
the help.

The kind of people I run away from are those who
want to talk to me or other senior people *only* when
they want something, such as a job. Fortunately, these
people are few. Even when I try to explain to them how
their networking strategy will backfire on them, they
choose not to listen.

"The way of a fool seems right
to him,
but a wise man listens to