Hiring Filters - Kid Pix

Subject: Hiring Filters - Kid Pix
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:36:35 -0600

Duly noted Miki's reference to Humor as a filter - I do much the same
(starting with Python, working up to MST3K!).

However, one of my most important filters now is this: during an
interview with someone to whom I might eventually report, I find an
opportune moment to check the interviewer's desk for pictures of
children.

As a father of three who values his family more than anything, I've
found that it's getting really difficult to work for single people - or,
even worse, married people with no kids (especially if they're >30 years
old). While they'll all make the right noises about committment to
family, it rarely works out in the long run - they have no comprehension
of the day-to-day difficulties that children bring to life, and are less
willing to compromise (especially on bureaucratic hoopjumping issues).
Inevitably, they seem to expect you to sacrifice family for job.