screen cap & other utils for UNIX ?

Subject: screen cap & other utils for UNIX ?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:06:45 +0800

Al Rubottom said:
> I'm about to start work on a UNIX app. . . and I would like to
> have some helpful tools to capture screens [character only, no GUI]
> and such, in order to have these for use in the manual(s) later.
> Does anyone know of such elementary UNIX tools, utils, et al.?

Al, I capture UNIX screens, both GUI and character mode, for software
manuals. The manuals are produced in FrameMaker under Solaris and
Windows 95.

I use XV to capture the screens and save them in compressed TIFF format.
I found when I switched from Word to FrameMaker that Frame has a bug in
its handling of LZW-compressed TIFFs. About a quarter of my screens come
out garbled. The fix or workaround is to open these files in ImageMagick
(UNIX) or Paint Shop Pro (Windows) and save it again as a compressed
TIFF. I assume these programs use a less aggressive algorithm -- the
files are slightly larger but work fine in Frame.

I like XV better for capturing screens. ImageMagick has a weird, clunky
graphical interface, but it's very powerful and has a vast number of
options for manipulating, merging and transforming images. It also has
a command-line interface, so you can automate some actions through
scripts.

Here are a few other UNIX public-domain tools you might like to look at:

Compression: gzip/gunzip.

MTools: a set of commands to read & write DOS diskettes in a UNIX drive
e.g. MCOPY, MDEL, MDIR, MCD. Handy if you don't have a network
connection between your UNIX and Windows drives.

PostScript: pstools is a set of utilities for manipulating PS files --
e.g. print 2-up or 4-up on a page, reorder pages into booklet
order

xdeview: decodes various file formats (BinHex, uuencode, etc)

Others:

ical is a nice calendar/todo list.
xvtdl is a GUI To Do list program. I don't use it but others here like it.
xpostit -- post-it notes.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au) Voice: +61 9 328 8288
Functional Software Pty Ltd Fax: +61 9 328 8616