To err is human

Subject: To err is human
From: Kurt Schwemmer <kurts -at- ONEIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:40:19 -0700

>That typo makes supports both of our cases very well. Yours, as above;
>mine, as follows:
>
>My posting was typed late in a long day and glanced over once, not intently
>proofread or even spellchecked. I was more interested in content than
>details; more interested in finishing my task. In other words, I rushed my
>job out the door, not caring about its professional image.
>
>Result? I embarrassed myself and injured my credibility.
>
>I didn't intend this result, but it serves as a good object lesson! So
>good, in fact, that I will cc our exchange to the list. Might as well, I
>will probably be bombarded with messages today pointing out the goof and
>all the other flaws in my argument.
>
>On the Copyediting list recently, there was a good discussion about slaying
>the perfection dragon. I agree that there comes a point when you just have
>to leave something alone. But if you're trying to convince a potential
>employer that you'll knock yourself out in the pursuit of quality
>documentation, you ought to start with your resume, which is a lot easier
>to polish than a 500-page technical manual!
>
>Carolyn

Obviously, Carolyn is a fine writer. Her argument is well stated and makes
a lot of sense. I flinched a little for her when I noticed the error.

It reminds me of what I have read about Amish quilts--which are costly and
among the finest in the world. Purchasers often search their quilts
intently, for the Amish always include a deliberate mistake; a humble
admission that only God is perfect.

Our aim is perfection, of course. This should be especially true in the
case of resumes. However, errors happen to the best of us.

Lynda Schwemmer lschw -at- bigfoot -dot- com