Re: HTML-based Help?

Subject: Re: HTML-based Help?
From: "Paul J. Sisler" <paul -at- SISLER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 13:01:35 -0600

At 10:43 AM 2/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of a tool that you can use to create context-sensitive,
>HTML-based online help that is *not* browser dependent?

Blue Sky is in the process of designing RoboHelp as an HTML-based Help
development tool. (It will still take care of WinHelp for 16 and 32 bit
systems, of course). Their current version (RobHelp 4) exports online Help
for Winhelp 3 and 4 (16 and 32 bit), and for both popular HTML-Help based
Help solutions: NetHelp (NetScape) and HTML Help (MS).

>I've been reading up on NetHelp, but I'd like to find something similar that
>doesn't require the user to have a particular kind of browser on their system.

I beleive both MS and NS promise to deliver HTML-based Help solutions that
will at some point down the road be browser (as well as platform
independent). IMHO--it looks like this will be a while in coming. You
should be able to create cross-browser HTML by sticking to W3 specs and no
funky technologies, but context sensitivity (for the time-being--probably
not for forever) relies on your ability to predict the user's browser.
Microsoft has HTML-Help infor here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/author/htmlhelp/>.

Active-X provides the navigational tools for HTML-Help. You may have better
luck, therefore, following NeHelp specs. if you need to implement
context-sensitivity TODAY. Tomorrow, I know, creeps at its petty pace unto
the very edges of recorded time, but it is likely to offer a few more
solutions. I refuse to endorse one spec. over the other: who knows, I may
wish to go to Redmond or Mountain View one day.

For those other than Kirstin, who already knows, the NetHelp SDK can be
found here: <http://home.netscape.com/eng/help/>.

Wextech, the Doc-to-Help people, have info here:
<http://www.wextech.com/hhbook>. I believe, and somebody will confirm or
deny this I'm sure--Doc-to-Help is also HTML-Help exportable, or will be soon.

TTFN

Paul

paul -at- sisler -dot- com