Re: To err is human

Subject: Re: To err is human
From: John Ahlstrom <jahlstro -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:19:41 -0800

Wayne Douglass wrote:

>At 08:40 AM 2/25/97 -0700, Kurt Schwemmer wrote:
>
>>It reminds me of what I have read about Amish quilts--which are costly and
>>among the finest in the world. Purchasers often search their quilts
>>intently, for the Amish always include a deliberate mistake; a humble
>>admission that only God is perfect.
>>
>>Our aim is perfection, of course. This should be especially true in the
>>case of resumes. However, errors happen to the best of us.
>>
>It has been said that we must decide between perfection of the life or of
>the work. The Amish have made their decision.
>
>--Wayne Douglass

I have heard this about the weavers of Persian and other oriental [sorry]
rugs. I have always thought this had exactly the opposite meaning --
though apparently not consciously in the weavers. If I think I have
to make a deliberate mistake in order to keep my work from being
perfect, what does that say about me?

J Ahlstrom
jahlstrom -at- cisco -dot- com

That's half of one, six dozen of the other.