Re: Verbing Nouns

Subject: Re: Verbing Nouns
From: Kent Dannehl <kdannehl -at- STARFISHSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:00:32 -0800

In my experience, German parlance is full of nouns that have become verbs,
esp. foreign nouns. Its relatively easy when your language is declined.

There is one more relatively interesting facet of the discussion
about compound words in German and English.

The reason you don't find many compound English-root words in english is
that English uses latin roots for most of its words that are more than
two syllables. It is so pervasive that most english speakers don't even
notice. We just don't call things what they are in English. We use
latin cognates.

Thus a "tire tread depth gauge" is usually called a "tread caliper"
or micrometer. Just look at any technical manual. If the word is
over two syllables long, its usually come to English from Latin
through French.

The Germans self-consciously did not adopt many latin cognates.
Thus, for a German a word like hydrogen (water stuff in latin) is
wasserstoff( a compound german word )

Kent Dannehl