Re: style query

Subject: Re: style query
From: Patricia Carmel <Patricia_Carmel -at- 3MAIL -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 15:58:33 +0200

LEDs 'light' and (as in, "The red LED lights"); they can also be 'lit' (as
in, "The red LED is lit"). To my (linguistic) regret, they have been known
to 'extinguish', although I don't see anything wrong with 'turns off' or is
just 'off'.

click or click on a button: Coming as I do from the Mac style guide which
advocates 'click the button', 'click on' is anathema. However as I become
more and more consumed by the PC world, the term 'click on' becomes less
and less jarring.

I'd be interested in what others have to say about your third question -
the first example looks weird but the second makes the acronym look like a
mistake.

Patricia Carmel

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
cc:
From: MDM0857 @ MCDATA.COM @ UGATE
Date: Wednesday February 26, 1997 09:08 PM
Subject: style query

We're updating our style guide, and have some puzzles:

Do LEDs light, illuminate, turn on, or what?

Do you click a button or click on a button?

When you have an acronym that's derived from a word or phrase but not
from just initial letters, do you capitalize the acronym letters in the
defining phrase, or leave it as normal text?
PHRED (PHrases foR the EruDite)
PHRED (phrases for the erudite)

Please respond to me directly, and I'll post a summary to the List. Thanks!
Miki
mikim -at- mcdata -dot- com