Re: the SME question yet again

Subject: Re: the SME question yet again
From: diane haugen <dhaugen -at- BARNESVILLE -dot- POLARISTEL -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 16:55:48 -0600

Periodically, the question of whether to hire subject matter experts or
expert writers comes up for discussion on this list. Carnegie Mellon
University's Communications Design Center did a number of studies on this
in the 80s.

Karen Schriver, who later became one of the Center's Co-directors, has
recently published *Dynamics in Document Design,* and I have posted a
review of this book on my Document Design web site at

http://www.rrv.net/wcdd/dd/index.html

where you may scroll down to the book review section and click on through
to the review.

Her book provides a very good definition of what document design is,
reviews the research, and presents many case studies from her own research
using protocol-aided analysis.

I have cross-posted to several related lists, so apologize for any
duplicate messages you may receive about this review.