Spelling out numbers above ten

Subject: Spelling out numbers above ten
From: Diane Burke <dburke -at- RIGEL -dot- TYDAC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:52:13 +0000

Jean_Labella wrote:
>We go by the general rule that numbers zero through nine are
>spelled out,
>and 10 and above are presented numerically. My question is, in
>what cases
>do people spell out numbers above nine?

That depends on what the number refers to. Check "The Chicago
Manual of Style" or "The Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical
publications". Both are worthwhile style guides. There should not
be a hyphen.

--
Diane Burke
TYDAC Research Inc.

613-226-5525, Ext. 202
dburke -at- rigel -dot- tydac -dot- com

"No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings."
-- William Blake