Re: CHAT: "Intercom" article

Subject: Re: CHAT: "Intercom" article
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:23:11 -0600

At 08:34 AM 3/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>To those of you who are STC members:
>
>I received the March/April issue of "Intercom" yesterday, and in the
>"Witful Thinking" article, I came across a phrase that I don't
>understand.
>
>The humorous article is a Jeff Foxworthy-ish list called "You May be a
>Technical Writer if..."
>
>The term in question is "Klatu, barrada nickto". (the entire entry is
>"You have a sign next to your computer: 'Klatu, barrada nickto'". I
>don't get it!
>
>Just for the record, I scored a 9!
>--
>|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
>Kim Keegan | keegan -at- explorers -dot- com

Is that thing still around? It's from an old classic sci fi movie called
"The Day The Earth Stood Still" and it's often considered a kind of tacit,
funny password into the world of the technogeekdom. Presumably you're
techno-hip if you recognize the line.

My experience has been that Monty Python has a much stronger hold on the
techno mentality. I've often heard cries of "run away, run away" drifting
down the hallways, far more often than "Klatu, barrado, nickto".

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support