Re[2]: Java and ActiveX

Subject: Re[2]: Java and ActiveX
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 13:22:29 -0500

Calm, down, Bill. ;{>}

Well if we want to call ourselves "technical communicators" then we'd
better not be afraid to get a little technical from time to time.

What I meant was that the issue (Java v ActiveX) was not one that technical
communicators would settle, or even affect in any large way. Not that the
issue was too technical for us to understand. I doubt any of us have much
affect on what tools the devlopers use to create their products, however
much affect we have on communicating what those products do. Most
programmers don't take very well to someone Outside the Circle telling them
what tools they have to use (I suspect their reaction would be roughly akin
to our reaction to their attempt to tell us which WP or DTP tools to use).

Vendors that follow the CORBA standard have very few problems with
this. That's the idea behind standards.

Check out Network Computing, 3/1/97 page 51 for a look at the current state
of CORBA in reality (Fritz, if you're listening, you owe me for the plug).
It's an evaluation of Object Request Brokers performed at the UW. The text
contains the clear inference that nothing currently exists which implements
the CORBA specs (page 57). (I should note that I'm CORBA fan, but must
realisticly acknowledge that while it's interesting in theory, the reality
of it is yet to be determined.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224